|Healthier Chicken Cordon Bleu|
Nonstick cooking spray
½ cup Neufchatel cheese
1¼ tsp. garlic powder, divided use
4 thin slices low-sodium, nitrite free, extra lean ham (about 2 oz.)
4 thin slices Swiss cheese (about 2 oz.)
1 cup whole grain Panko bread crumbs
¼ tsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
¼ tsp. ground black pepper
¼ tsp. onion powder
4 (4-oz.) each raw chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1. Preheat oven to 375° F.
2. Lightly coat 9 x 9-inch baking pan (or casserole dish) with spray. Set aside.
3. Combine Neufchatel cheese and 1 tsp. garlic powder in a small bowl; mix well.
4. Place slices of ham individually on your work surface. Top each with a slice of Swiss cheese. Spread Neufchatel cheese mixture evenly on each slice of Swiss cheese. Roll lengthwise. Place in freezer until ready to use.
5. Combine bread crumbs, salt, remaining ¼ tsp. garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder in a small bowl; mix well. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
6. To stuff chicken, slice chicken breasts along the long side, about ¾ way through; do not cut all the way through. Chicken will open like a book. Place one ham roll inside each chicken breast. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining chicken breasts. Set aside.
7. Place eggs in a shallow dish. Dip each chicken breast in eggs, completely coating, then bread crumbs; coating each evenly on all sides. Place chicken in prepared pan. Remove toothpicks.
8. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and juices run clear.
1 1/2 reds 1 red 1 blue