Friday, November 18, 2016

Your dreams or someone else's

Not anymore. 😏

One of the things that personal development made me start thinking about was my dreams. It made me think back to when I was a little girl and remember what I used to dream about. I thought about what was behind those dreams, why did I want to be or become the things I dreamed about.

I guess to understand my dreams you would have to know where I come from. You see I grew up poor, in the inner city of Philadelphia. My father worked two jobs and my mom was a stay at home mom when I was a little girl. I remember when she decided to go back to school to get her diploma. Mostly because there were no longer tastykakes waiting for us on the dining room table after school....lol I even remember what made her decide to do that. She upset about our family situation and decided she wanted better for herself and her family, so she went back to school. Now that I think about that, I guess she was my first influence to going after a better life...thanks Mom. 

Since that day I've always known that if I wanted more for my life all I had to do was go after it. I realized I could determine how great my life was, my income, my self confidence and my inner belief that was instilled in me drove me to work harder.... for me..... because I saw my mother do it.
I WAS already a hard worker (when it was something I wanted) -but as I got older I saw that didn't matter to Corporate America. As long as I showed up to my job on time and sat in my cubicle- I could be an average producer and make the same amount of money. Or I could work crazy long hours and make a ton of money but miss my kids grow up, their games and performances. There simply wasn't enough value in that life and in most cases I was considered replaceable, I didn't matter. My hustle didn't count. I was an employee...expendable and forgettable. But thanks to my mom, that wasn't good enough for me and I wanted more.

Dreaming bigger began with deciding I was worth more. After I started having kids, I saw my time as so much more valuable. I knew the life I wanted to give them and I didn't want to waste my life or my time making someone else money! My desires were valid and important and deserving of all the time and effort I could invest. I had to climb out of the employee mindset and start thinking like a CEO... because that's what I am- we are all the CEOs of our lives. I absolutely love my life. #thatcoachlife

No comments:

Post a Comment