Monday, January 18, 2016

I wanted to talk about having familial support when your on a journey of changing your life and getting healthy. It can be hard to get people on board with your plans. When I started the Ultimate Reset my husband and 15 year old daughter agreed to be supportive by not bringing food in the house that would tempt me and that they would try to eat most of the meals I was preparing. So a week ago when they went out for mexican and put the leftovers in the fridge I didn't say much as they kept them in the bag so I couln't see it. But yesterday when I'm feeling like this last week will never be over and temptations have been everywhere and so hard for me, my husband makes baked ziti for his and Mikaylas's dinner. HOW COULD HE!!! I was so annoyed at first and then I felt a little like crying. Why would he do that to me. I literally had to take a moment and go into my bedroom to get my composure and gather my thoughts. I told him that what he did was not being supportive. It was insensitive. At such a fragile time in this journey the last place I should have to face temptation is in the confines of my own home. What if I was feeling weak that day and gave in? I would have thrown all of this hard work out of the window....Well not exactly,  but I would have felt that way and probably allowed the "What the hell affect"  to set in and take control of me for the rest of the week. While in my room I had to acknowledge that yes I felt like crying because of the situation and that I wanted to give in so badly. But then I thought about how far I had come and that I only had a week left. I can have baked ziti on day 22. But I did proceed to tell him how that made me feel and why it upset me so much. I had to compare it to when he is abstaining from beer for a set amount of time and asked how would he feel if I brought a six pack into the house while he was in the middle of that. For some reason the analogy helped him get the picture. So I say all of that to say, we may not always have the support of our families. Some people feel like why should they have to change their lives just because you are. Even with me giving my husband suggestions like: if you want to eat that go out to a restaurant without me to have it, or wait until I'm not home. Anything but bringing it into the house and putting it in my line of site. He still did what he wanted on those two occasions. So it will be hard sometimes we are going to have to remind ourselves why we are doing this and how we would feel if we failed. There will be failure, there are no success stories that do not include failure. But learning from them every time I failed has helped me so much. I know how I will feel if I give in. I can remember how bad I felt about myself and the tears that were shed because I had failed yet again. I can vividly remember and connect to that feeling and I know I don't want to feel like that. I knew I needed an additional support system that was outside of my home when my loved ones weren't helpful.  I know that I have to be speak up for myself when my family aren't being supportive and help them understand. Tell them what I need and expect from them, it's not 100% but they give a better effort than when I used to internalize these things instead of expressing them. So I did this program with a couple of other coaches so we could support each other. As I continue on this journey I learn more and more about myself and I know I can do this and SO CAN YOU!!!! If you need any help or support simply reach out to me.... that's what I am here for.

No comments:

Post a Comment