- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp avocado, or olive oil
- 3 tsps onion powder
- 3 tsps chili powder
- 2 tsps garlic powder
- 3 tsps ground cumin
- 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups organic, low sodium chicken broth
- 1, 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 1.5 cups prepared black beans
- 2 3/4 cups of whole grain brown rice or long grain white rice or even boil in bag white rice
- 1/3 cup shredded quesadilla cheese (optional) .
- Place chicken breasts in crock pot.
- Pour in broth, canned tomatoes, oil, and seasonings.
- Cook on low for about 3.5 to 4 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker.
- Turn temp to high and stir in rice and black beans.
- Let cook 30-45 minutes on high, or until rice is tender.
- Use forks to shred chicken.
- Add shredded chicken back in, cook for 10 minutes on high, or until chicken is hot.
- Serve with fresh diced tomatoes, plain Greek yogurt, green onions, diced avocado or guacamole, top with cheese if desired.
You could also spread it over your favorite tortilla chips and make nachos. I like organic blue corn tortilla chips.